WHAT IS TOBACCO?
The primary ingredient in tobacco is nicotine. Nicotine is an extremely addictive poison.
COMMON Tobacco Products include: cigarettes, cigars/cigarillos, pipe tobacco, hookah, spit/chew tobacco, e-cigarettes etc.
TOBACCO IN HAWAII
- 1,400 lives lost to tobacco use each year in Hawai’i
- 10% of high school students in Hawai’i smoke
- $526 million tobacco-related health care costs to Hawai’i taxpayers each year
- Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causes diseases and reduces one’ health
- Heart disease
- Cancers/ Lung cancer
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) including emphysema and chronic bronchitis
- Smoking can cause complications during pregnancy such as eptopic pregnancy and miscarriage
- Smoking while can pregnant can lead to stillbirth, premature birth and low birthweight babies
Effects of Secondhand Smoke (ETS):
Secondhand smoke is the smoke exhaled from the lungs of smokers mixed together with the smoke that comes from the burning end of a cigarette, cigar or pipe. Approximately 200+ kids are killed each year from respiratory distress and fires caused by ETS and unattended cigarettes.
- It is illegal for tobacco products to be sold to minors under 21 years old in Hawaii
- Federal law requires merchants selling tobacco to ask for a photo ID with purchase of tobacco products
- In Hawai’i it is illegal to smoke 20 feet from any public building or public space (including beaches)
Free Coaching/Free Patches
Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
Sources: The Honolulu Police Department Narcotics/Vice Division, The State of Hawaii‘I/Department of Health/Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division ; The American Lung Association 2005; The Honolulu Advertiser; Epidemiologic Trends in Drug Abuse; Tobacco Use in America: Findings From the 2003 National Household Survey, REAL: Teens Against Big Tobacco, Cancer Prevention and Early Detection 2004; Cancer Facts & Figures 2004; Hawaii Youth Tobacco Survey, Middle School and High School Highlights, 2001-2003, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.