Electronic Smoking Devices
WHAT ARE E-CIGARETTES?
An e-cigarette is an Electronic Nicotine Delivery System (ENDS).
E-Cigarettes contain nicotine-laced liquid flavors. They are designed to work like an actual cigarette by inhaling its vapor. Using an E-cigarette or electronic smoking device is commonly referred to as "vaping".
common types of e-cigarettes
- Vape pens
- Hookah pens
how are e-cigarettes used?
The E-cigarette contains a battery that activates a heating device, atomizing liquid nicotine inside a cartridge and producing a vapor, which the user inhales.
E-cigarettes in hawai'i
Hawaii teens take up e-cigarette use at higher rates than mainland counterparts.
According to a study by the University of Hawai'i Cancer Center in 2013, more than 1,900 teens were surveyed and:
- nearly 30% tried e-cigarettes, 17% of those who tried reported only using E-cigarettes
- 12% used both E-cigarettes and Cigarettes
- 3% used cigarettes only
- 68% used neither cigarettes or e-cigarettes
- 96% were aware of e-cigarettes
- 67% considered e-cigarettes to be healthier than cigarettes
Teens who use E-cigarettes are more likely to start smoking cigarettes.
- Initial FDA tests of electronic smoking device samples show they include carcinogens and other toxic chemicals.
- No studies that show exactly what vapor does to the human lungs or heart.
- Manufacturers are not required to share the ingredients in E-liquids or the vapor.
- Little conclusive research has been done to determine health effects of inhaling a nicotine-laced vapor.
In the state of Hawai'i it is against the law to sell or furnish any tobacco product, including electronic smoking devices, to a person under the age of 21.
In state of Hawai'i it is against the law for any person under the age of 21 to buy tobacco products, including electronic smoking devices.
*As of August 8, 2016 the FDA, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, finalized a rule to include E-cigarettes in their regulatory authority of all tobacco products. E-cigarettes are approved by the FDA.
Sources: U.S. Food & Drug Administration Public Health Focus, Allhookah.net, Americans for non smokers rights (ANR) http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=645, University of Hawai'i News http://www.hawaii.edu/news/2014/12/16/e-cigarette-use-by-hawaii-teens-is-nearly-triple-national-average/, State of Hawai'i Department of Health health.hawaii.gov/tobacco/home/laws/